RE: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:41:48 +0200
To: "Eric Sedlar" <eric.sedlar@oracle.com>, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Lisa Dusseault" <lisa@xythos.com>, "'Stefan Eissing'" <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>, "Webdav WG" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

No. IMHO, the draft describes a very specific quota model, which it
shouldn't if it's to be implemented generally. For instance

"   Quota is not additive.  A collection only has the quota assigned to
   it, not (in addition) the quota assigned to sub collections or any
   other collections.  Sub-collections can have different quota values
   than parent collections.  These ˘sub-quota÷s may act as additional
   constraints, or they may be under-constrained and have no effect.
   This can allow the delegation of quota administration from root
   administrators to collection owners. "

will not work with a quota system that is per user and filesystem/server.

To make this proposal work in the general case, it needs to be more generic.
For instance, the only questions I can easily answer with a Unix-FS-based
quota system are:

- the storage limit (for the authenticated user)
- the current storage (for the user)

and possibly

- the amount of storage taken by a particular set of resources (and that may
be expensive to compute).

Julian