RE: Proposal: WebDAV and transactions

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:57:46 -0700
To: "Gary Cowan" <Gary.Cowan@Tally.Hummingbird.com>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

> Well I suppose, but isn't this what wrapping updates with a
> Lock/Unlock pair is intended to accomplish. I have nothing
> against transactions, I just don't have any need for them
> spanning multiple WebDAV methods. Yet:)

Lock/unlock doesn't give you rollback capability. Even though you're the
only person who can write to a resource during a lock, it still may be the
case that you're unable to complete the PROPPATCH part of a PUT/PROPPATCH
pair. The TCP connection may go down, the server may go down, you may be
exceeding your quota, etc.

Now, if the total number of use cases is relatively small, it probably makes
more sense to create new methods explicitly for these use cases, instead of
a general purpose transaction mechanism.

- Jim