Re: Interoperability for DAV:ishidden?

From: Eric Sedlar <eric.sedlar@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:46:56 -0700
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

> I still don't see your objection to Julian's original proposal,
> i.e. if your server can (or is willing to) allow a client to operate
> directly on the resource identified by the DAV:resourceid, then it
> just makes the value of DAV:resourceid be in the HTTP: namespace.

How does an interoperable client know that it can do this?  Are you going to
allow an optional <href> tag in DAV:resourceid so that the client can know
to do this?  This just puts the burden on the client writer.

> There is value in a DAV:resourceid, even if it isn't something a
> client can use to directly operate on the resource, so I don't believe
> it is reasonable to require that the value of DAV:resourceid be in the
HTTP
> namespace.

What do you feel is unreasonable?  Finding some obscure part of the HTTP
namespace on a server to map to?  Handling requests with resource-ids?  It
seems to me that this makes resourceid simpler for simple repositories that
may not have GUIDs available, as they can just use the resource's URL if
they don't allow multiple bindings to a resource.

--Eric