Re: IPv6 support in WebDAV and HTTP

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 06:40:05PM -0400, Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> RFC2616 says: "http_URL = "http:" "//" host [ ":" port ] [ abs_path [
> "?" query ]]"
>
> I can't find a definition of the host part.  It does however say "The
> use of IP addresses in URLs SHOULD be avoided whenever possible (see RFC
> 1900 [24])."
>
> So:
>  - Does the wording in RFC2616 require support for IPv6 for HTTP
> servers? Or does it merely skirt the issue?
>  - Does anybody have any idea how HTTP servers and clients handle IPv6
> addresses in practice?

> > > [...]
> > >    set of four decimal digit groups separated by ".".  Literal IPv6
> > >    addresses are not supported."

It only says "literal IPv6 addresses are not supported". In no way does
it say, "a name which only has an AAAA/A6 record is invalid". If you
*do* want to do literal IPv6 addresses, the accepted form is
[host]:port, e.g:
[3ffe:8001:c:1001::c0ff:ee]:80 for my home machine. I'm running IPv6
servers and clients with absolutely no issues.

HTH,
:) d

--
Daniel Stone	   <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>   http://raging.dropbear.id.au