Re: Bindings, was: Issue: URI_URL, proposed changes

From: Jason Crawford <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:01:33 -0400
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@rational.com>, "'Webdav WG \(E-mail\)'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

<<
However, from an abstract point of view, multiple URIs can identify the
same
resource even if they live on separate HTTP servers. In particular, the
implementations wouldn't even know about the "other" URI, and it would be
impossible require both servers to return the same DAV:resourceid.

I believe you're talking about inter-server bindings.
Because of garbage collection issues, I suspect the server that actually
holds the resource will know about all bindings to the resource.  But more
importantly, I suspect all servers that bind to that resource will get the
resourceid from the server that actually contains the resource just as
they'd get other properties like the last modification date.

Did you have something else in mind?

I believe the resources should have a resourceid, but right now I can live
with a proposal that lacks it.

Phone: 914-784-7569