From: Bill Brown [mailto:billb@tibco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 2:54 PM
To: 'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'
Subject: [Moderator Action] 207 Multi-Status success

I recently implemented the Dav protocol for our Schema repo so it is now a
Dav server....wrote all the code to handle failures for lock, delete, move,
copy and proppatch, so they return a 207 multi-status response and the
appropriate xml as defined by the Dav spec.....my problem is that now.....I
can't find a Dav client that recognizes 207 multi-status as a
"failure"....everyone I've tried, treats it as a "success"....this actually
makes sense to me, since 200 level status codes have always meant "success"
to me....so, if I change the code to remap the 207 multi-status and return a
412 Precondition Failed....then all the clients will treat that response
status as a failure.....obviously, since 400 level codes are "client error"

Two questions....1) Am I completely missing something here?? and 2) Can
anybody point me to a Dav client that treats the 207 multi-status as a
"failure" in the appropriate cases??

thanks,
bill