Re: FW: character encoding.

From: Taisuke Yamada <tai@iij.ad.jp>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:37:38 +0900
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Hi.

I assume you're having a problem with charset encoding in HTTP
request-line and HTTP header. I don't know if this encoding issue
has been discussed in the past, but I believe the general consensus
is to use UTF-8 in any case.

I think there's some notes on this issue in rfc2396 and rfc2277 (can
anyone correct me?). As there is no way to transmit encoding
information for HTTP request-line and HTTP header, this seems to be
the only solution.

Of course, the problem is that not all clients/servers actually
follow this scheme - older implementation tends to transmit (or
expects to receive) whatever the encoding it uses locally. This
obviously causes interoperability problem when non-ASCII named
resource is used. I currently get around the problem by plugging
an encoding detection/conversion filter in the server I'm running.

This problem was not apparent (or critical) before WebDAV, because
it was not a common practice to give non-ASCII URL to web browsers.
Only after the WebDAV, the Web become writable as "filesystem", and
people started to use non-ASCII filenames.

--
Taisuke Yamada <tai@iij.ad.jp>
Internet Initiative Japan Inc., Technical Planning Division