RE: HOW_TO_IDENTIFY_LOCK_OWNER

(Sorry for the delay in this reply; I've been away from mail for a week.)

At 2:28 PM -0500 1/18/02, Clemm, Geoff wrote:
>I would describe our conclusion as:

Yow.  Unfortunately I would describe it in almost opposite terms...

>We need to define a new field, say DAV:lockowner, that is specified
>in a LOCK request, and that takes an XML value.  We will define
>some standard elements for that value.

I would have said our conclusion was:

We need to define a new XML-valued field, say DAV:lockowner, that is
owned by the server and returned as part of lockdiscovery.  We will
define some standard elements for that value which the server can use
to reveal as much or as little as it wants about:

- the principal owning the lock (e.g., a "login name")
- the relationship between the owning principal and the requesting
principal (e.g., requestor is/is not the owner)
- the capabilities of the requestor with respect to the lock (e.g.,
requestor has/has not the same capabilities as the owner; requestor
has/has not the ability to use or unlock the lock).

>We should then deprecate the use of the DAV:owner field, as a field
>that contains non-interoperable data about the lock owner.

I would have said:

We then need to explicitly reserve the use of the DAV:owner field to
be for clients to use at lock request time (in order to provide for
client-to-client conventional communication).  We need to forbid
servers from rewriting the client-specified value (other than
clarifying that the DAV:owner field is XML-valued, and thus subject
to parsing/regeneration by the server).

We then need to resolve the issue about whether the client can
rewrite the lock:owner field as part of a lock refresh request.  (I
believe this was an outstanding issue as to whether clients can
change any aspect of a lock in a refresh request.)  I would recommend
that clients be able to do this.

     dan

--
Daniel Brotsky, Adobe Systems