connect to a WebDav Share via the Web Browser

From: Kinsella, John R. <jrkinsella@stthomas.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 15:06:15 -0500
To: "'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
My deepest apologies if this question doesn't belong on this list.  I'm
having trouble finding any resources that can help us.

I've got a question regarding implementing WebDav.  We'd like to turn WbDav
on on our file servers that will give users access to centralized storage
from a net connected computer.  Currently they gain access off-campus using
a custom FTP-in-a-browser-window solution that we developed.  We're hoping
that WebDav can replace this, but I'm having some doubts we can provide the
same functionality.  So here's the question, Is there a way or a product
that will mount (on a mac) and map (on a PC) a WebDav share by clicking on a
link in a webpage?  I know we could just provide directions for our users to
do this themselves manually, but that suggestion wasn't received very well
:-)  So I'm trying to double check and make sure that this isn't possible.
There must be some workaround to do this, since Apple does it for Mac
clients with the iDisk.   But I haven't figured out how they do that.
I'm hoping some smart folks here may have an idea or suggestion for us.
Thanks either way!

John Kinsella
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to teach him to hold in higher regard
those who think alike rather than those who think differently."
--Nietzsche