Re: Issue: SOURCE_PROPERTY_UNDERSPECIFIED

From: Joe Orton <joe@manyfish.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 21:41:02 +0100
To: "Webdav WG (E-mail)" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>
On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 04:55:38PM -0700, Jim Whitehead wrote:

> Joe Orton writes:
> > I just dropped the xlink: from the href attribute, and got rid of the
> > xlink:role attribute entirely, giving e.g.:
> >
> > <D:prop>
> >  <D:source-set>
> >   <D:source href="http://example.com/dav/source.xml">Source</D:source>
> >   <D:source href="http://example.com/dav/render.xsl">Stylesheet</D:source>
> >   <D:source href="http://example.com/dav/etc.etc"/>
> >  </D:source-set>
> > </D:prop>
> >

> I like this, except for the "Source" and "Stylesheet" not being individual
> elements or attributes. The i18n characteristics of the approach above are
> not great -- I can just see a Kanji UI popping up a pick list of English
> words, ugh. What was the perceived problem with using the xlink:role
> attribute (and Xlink syntax in general?)

I just thought it was unnecessary to have to depend on yet another
specification for something this simple.

An alternative proposal:

 <D:prop>
  <D:source>
   <D:link>
    <D:href>http://example.com/dav/source.xml</D:href>
    <D:description>Source</D:href>
   </D:link>
   <D:link>
    <D:href>http://example.com/dav/render.xsl</D:href>
    <D:description>Stylesheet</D:href>
   </D:link>
  </D:source>
 </D:prop>

where the href is mandatory, description is optional; this is i18n
friendly... any problems with this approach?

joe