RE: etags in If: headers (was: 54th IETF Meeting Information, and RFC2518 open issues)

That would be an internal server error -- I don't think the *protocol* needs
to allow discovery of problem like these...

> As it won't cost anything, I don't understand why you want to remove a
> consistency check.

Well, that's exactly the point: every feature that's hard to implement, of
questionable use *does* cost (in implementation/debugging time).

So the feature should stay if

- it gives us something that can't be easily done otherwise

- we have proven interoperability.