RE: WebDAV property schema lookup

Fair enough

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@gmx.de]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 1:14 PM
To: Gary Cowan; DAV
Subject: RE: WebDAV property schema lookup

Well, there is. What you don't have is an interoperable  way to *discover*
them (and their datatypes, descriptions).

> One of the characteristics of most if not all enterprise DM
> systems is that
> they are highly customizable. Thus the metadata properties for documents
> managed by the system can and quite often due change from site to
> site, and
> obviously change from industry to industry. For instance a law
> firm requires
> different metadata properties than a manufacturing firm.

Thus one needs a generic schema-based protocol that allows discovery of
mandatory properties and their types. This is what Microsoft Sharepoint
already implements.

> I suppose the holy grail would be to have WebDAV clients
> construct a dynamic
> properties dialog. This may not be practical in which case a redirection
> mechanism or a UI container such as a browser window could
> possibly be used.
> I am just thinking off the top of my head right now. I understand this is
> not an easy issue to resolve. If it can be resolved then WebDAV could
> potentially completely replace hardwired integration with desktop
> applications.

It certainly can be solved (without changing WebDAV), but it requires a lot
of work.