RE: [ACL] Principal Identity

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 02:52:42 -0800
To: "Stefan Eissing" <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>, "Webdav WG" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>
> The defined way to do so, is to include these properties in the
> {DAV:}supported-live-property-set. Then the client knows that the
> server gives special meaning to these properties.

However, supported-live-property-set is not part of RFC2518.  Therefore,
regular DAV clients cannot rely on knowing what properties are live and what
properties are dead on any given server.  Therefore, regular DAV clients
cannot rely on knowing what properties they will get back on an 'allprop'
request if 'allprop' is defined as returning 2518&dead properties.

> Coming back to <allprop/>: a dead "image-height" property would
> be reported, while a live property would not be reported. A client
> interested in seeing "image-height" in either case, should attach
> a <include>...</include> to allprop in our proposal.

I think it's simpler to not use allprop at all.  Since so few properties may
be returned by allprop, and all by propname, why not just use propname &
then a specific query?  I'd want to see a rather compelling reason before
inventing new syntax when existing PROPFIND syntaxes, without allprop,
suffice.

lisa