another RFC issue: value of GETETAG property

From: Daniel Brotsky <dbrotsky@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:33:58 -0800
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
The RFC says

13.6 getetag Property

    Name:       getetag
    Namespace:  DAV:
    Purpose:    Contains the ETag header returned by a GET without
    accept headers.
    compliant resource that returns the Etag header.
    Value:      entity-tag  ; defined in section 3.11 of [RFC2068]

    <!ELEMENT getetag (#PCDATA) >

Unfortunately, the example in section 8.1.1 (page 27) says

                     <D:getetag>
                          zzyzx
                     </D:getetag>

which is not a valid etag.  (Etags are quoted-strings, or
quoted-strings preceded by the literal W/.)  But fixing this example
raises one of those classic "XML-ification" issues: should it be

<D:getetag>"zzyzx"</D:getetag>

or

<D:getetag>&quot;zzyzx&quot;</D:getetag>

and how about

<D:getetag>&quot;zzyzx"</D:getetag>

Can we get this issue listed and can someone (I vote for Julian :^)
resolve it and also explain to idiots like me where &-entities are
required to be used, where they are allowed to be used, and what
clients should do with them if their parser can't be told to do
entity elimination???

Thanks!

     dan
--