Re: Ideas: GETSRC & MULTIPUT

From: Alan Kent <ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:57:56 +1100
To: WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
I am uneasy about a single URL being effectively bound to two resources
(GET and GETSRC return different resources). It opens a potential
can of worms in that every HTTP method (HEAD, PROPFIND, LOCK, ...)
then potentially needs to be duplicated.

And how do I know that GETSRC will work? (Is it defined for all
resources no matter what type they are?)

Personally I would feel more comfortable with either the current
'source' scheme, another HTTP header field applicable to all requests,
or a parameter on the URL or something (/foo.html and /foo.html;getsrc).

I can see the cleaness of making one URL computed from the other
(identical in the proposed scheme, computed in the ;getsrc parameter
scheme above) but I dislike one URL identifying multiple resources and
the riple through all the other methods that would be required.

Alan