Re: Ideas: GETSRC & MULTIPUT

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 12:14:10PM -0800, Jim Whitehead wrote:
> I'm interested in the list's thoughts on two ideas for DAV improvements:
>
> The first is to introduce a GETSRC method to support access to the
> unprocessed source of a resource. This would decouple the dynamic response
> of a resource (GET) from its static source (GETSRC).

That would, of course, be completely contrary to the HTTP design and
further propagate the mistake of not accessing properties as resources.
Just use the source link.

> The second is to introduce the MULTIPUT method to support "PUT with
> PROPPATCH" scenarios. MULTIPUT would accept some subset of multipart MIME
> packages and atomically write them to the server. This would support the
> update of a resource and its metadata in one transaction.

Please choose a better name -- MPUT and MULTIPUT means multiple PUT requests,
which was already tried and abandoned.  Maybe you can call it PKG.  Or just
define a mapping to transactions and leave them as separate requests.

....Roy