Digest Authentication

From: Dylan Barrell <dbarrell@opentext.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:12:37 -0400
To: "WebDAV" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
I would like to propose a small change to the webDAV specification.

Digest Authentication requires that a server store its passwords in such a
way that they be available in clear text format.

Our experience with our customers has shown that this is TOTALLY
UNACCEPTABLE.

As a result, we will not be able to implement digest authentication in our
webDAV server.

I would like to propose that the Digest Authentication requirement be
demoted from mandatory to optional.

--Dylan