RE: Notes from DAV meeting

From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@rational.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:48:18 -0400
To: Webdav WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>
Everthing here looks fine to me, except for:

    - Trailing slash -
   Consensus:
   (a) Servers SHOULD put trailing slash after collection names when
producing
   them.
   (b) Servers SHOULD allow requests to collections even if trailing slash
is
   missing
   (c) Servers can use the Content-Location header to clarify the proper URL
   for a collection, in the response to any request that did not include the
   proper trailing slash.
   (d) The trailing slash convention is good.  Possibly strengthen language
so
   that it's more than just a convention.

I vigorously oppose this approach.  All these "SHOULDs" and "cans"
are unnecessary.  A simple statement of the form:

Trailing slashes MUST be ignored, e.g. the URL "http://xxx/yyy/" MUST
identify the same resource as "http://xxx/yyy".

is sufficient and will avoid the confusion and interoperability
problems that will result from the alternative approach.  This
was discussed at length on the mailing list about a year ago,
and no implementation was identified that depended on /yyy being
a different resource from /yyy/.

Cheers,
Geoff