GoLive, Host and Destination Header

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:17:31 +0200
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
I stumbled today about different behaviours when
it comes to treatment of Host and Destination headers,
which I'd like to get your point of view on.

GoLive (5.0 tryout) does send a Host header in request,
however it omittes the port part. So, if you have a server
localhost:8080, GoLive will send a Host header "Host: localhost".

However in Destination headers, GoLive uses the correct URLs, e.g.
Destination: http://localhost:8080/test.html

Now, my Servlet checks these headers on a COPY/MOVE and responds
with a 502 (Bad Gateway), as source and destination do not match.

I checked with mod_dav: same behaviour:
I checked with IIS: works. IIS seems to disregard the host part
of the destination URL and performs the MOVE/COPY.

Now, you can look at it two ways:
a) Well, nobody can move to a destination on a different server,
   so ignoring the host part in Destination is Ok.
b) Non-matching host parts is an error and should be reported as such.

What do you think? How is your server handling this?

//Stefan

PS. I don't know if there is a newer version of GoLive where the
host header is fixed. Anyone can verify or comment on that?