RE: rfc2518 issue: DEFER_LOCK_NULL_RESOURCES_IN_SPEC

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:15:48 +0200
To: "Lisa Dusseault" <lisa@xythos.com>, "Jason Crawford" <ccjason@us.ibm.com>, "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@Rational.Com>
Cc: "WebDAV" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> [mailto:w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Lisa Dusseault
>
> My sense of the room at the Interop was that clients already relied on the
> ability to LOCK resources which don't previously exist, then do PUT.
>
> The only functionality which is under question, IMHO, is:
>  - whether clients can do LOCK then MKCOL (or MKACTIVITY, etc)
>  - whether the null or empty resource goes away when unlocked
>
> I'm happy with the current behaviour as specified by RFC2518 -- after all,
> we implemented it that way.  I'm not totally attached to the
> ability to turn
> a lock-null resource into a collection, or make it disappear when
> unlocked.

This summarizes also my ideas. WebDAV should stick to the LOCK behaviour
of null-resources, when followed by a PUT. I think there are no interop
problems when LOCK->MKCOL is discontinued or when the resource, created
by a LOCK on a null-resource, stays after lock timeout.

In fact, changing RFC2518 in this way, will make live for server
implementors much easier and probably result in more compliant
implementations.

//Stefan