RE: WebDAV Resources

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:12:15 -0700
To: "Jim Whitehead" <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>, <shadgar@cs.bris.ac.uk>, "WebDAV" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

> So, if you write a server implementation that maps an entire database as a
> resource, and maps it to a URL, then yes, it is possible to consider a
> database as a whole resource. Similarly, if you write a server
> implementation that maps individual database cells to a resource, then
> assigns each cell a distinct URL, then it is possible to consider
> a database
> cell as a Web resource.

Although both these are possible, I've always thought that mapping rows to
resources and tables to collections was the most useful.  The MSDAIPP
component used by MS clients (you can see its name in the User-Agent header
if you sniff) takes this approach in a way: it presents an OLEDB interface
to the client software developer which treats every file and collection as a
row.

lisa