Re: UTF-8 Encoding Question

From: John Stracke <francis@ecal.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 15:11:22 -0500
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Dan Brotsky wrote:

> >   <D:href D:original-charset="utf-8">http://some.host/C%C3%A9sar.txt</D:href>
>
> This certainly would be a helpful thing for servers to say to clients
> (although maybe in some other way), and I second your request to JimW
> about adding it as an issue.

It might be better to wait and see whether IRIs take off
(<draft-masinter-url-i18n-07.txt>; broadly, the approach is to define that IRIs
are like URLs, but in Unicode; to use an IRI in a context that demands a URL, you
encode it in UTF-8, then apply %-encoding as normal).  No sense creating two
separate mechanisms to solve the same problem.

--
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|