RE: Status code for creating lock-null resource

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:48:46 -0700
To: "Dan Brotsky" <dbrotsky@Adobe.COM>
Cc: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> I think we can simply
> say that LOCKing an unmapped URI puts a locked no-content resource
> there, and it stays there until someone either says "here's content"
> with PUT or "actually it's a collection" with MKCOL.  If they really
> made a mistake they can say DELETE.

I'd point out that in many systems, DELETE privilege is separate from
create(write) privilege.  UserA, creating a resource in a folder "owned" by
UserB, may well end up creating a resource that UserA cannot delete (perhaps
UserB can).  Thus they can't necessarily do cleanup.

This is a problem with any write operation that doesn't turn out the way the
user expects so I'd be happy if that problem was not solved at all,
particularly through a special case "disappearing" resource.

lisa