Why HTTP/1.1 in MKCOL requests?

From: Alan Kent <ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 16:00:35 +1000
To: WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
No deep questions - just an observation that came up.

A presentation was given internally here about WebDAV to raise the
awareness of the protocol. Someone asked a question which I did not
have a good answer for.

Since the extended WebDAV commands are not a part of HTTP 1.1, why
do you say

    MKCOL /foo/bar HTTP/1.1

Why is it not

    MKCOL /foo/bar WebDAV/1.0

A few people were complaining that WebDAV seemed to be "messing up"
the HTTP 1.1 protocol, pretending to be a part of HTTP 1.1, when the
extensions are not a part of the HTTP protocol.

My answer was "thats what the spec says to do".

Alan