RE: questions about WebDAV methods

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:33:22 -0700
To: "Peter Pierrou" <Peter.Pierrou@excosoft.se>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, <takeyama@purple.gits.waseda.ac.jp>
> Would it not be possible, if the server supports it, to map a
> part of an XML document with
> the URL, by using xpointer as an example?
>
> http://server/files/file.xml/descendant(1, 'paragraph')
>
> If the server can handle a lock on a part of a document that
> would make sense.

Yes, it is certainly possible for a server to perform a mapping of the
structure of a document into its namespace. Use of XPointer is one such
possibility.

When we developed the WebDAV Distributed Authoring Protocol, one of our
design rules was to avoid requiring the server to have any knowledge about
the internal structure of a document. However, an individual server is
certainly free to do so.

- Jim