RE: Status code for creating lock-null resource

From: Hall, Shaun <Shaun.Hall@gbr.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:15:59 +0100
To: "'Lisa Dusseault'" <lisa@xythos.com>
Granted a client cannot tell the difference as you state *if* they took no
preceding action.

However, I don't think the spec should be changed:

1) Obviously it would go against the definition in RFC 2616 for 201 Created.
2) You haven't actually created a resource. An LNR doesn't physically exist,
you've only reserved the "name". You have created a lock, but that is not
the same thing.
3) Doesn't make sense to me to get a "201 Created" response for a successful
LNR, then if you tried to DELETE or GET it for example, get a 404 or 405 (as
per RFC 2518 sec 7.4).
4) Might break existing applications etc.

Alternatively, a client could perform one of a number of actions to discover
that the resource didn't exist before they attempt to LOCK it (create the
LNR) and get a 404.

Side notes - results when creating an LNR with:

5) mod_dav pre v1.0 (think v0.9.16) returns a 200 OK response.
6) IIS 5.0 (on Win2K) returns a 201 Created response.

Regards

Shaun Hall
Xerox Europe