From: Dr. Michael Evans [mailto:mike.evans@glowebs.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 8:54 AM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] RE: what is lock-null resource

>> I read the RFC2518 and not sure what is lock-null resource for.
>> could you please give me a example to explain its purpose or
>>function.
Tao,

A null resource is defined as “…a resource which responds with a 404 (Not
Found) to any HTTP/1.1 or DAV method except for PUT, MKCOL, OPTIONS and
 LOCK”.  In other words, a null resource is one that does not physically
exist on the server, but whose URL does.  Locking a null resource has the
effect of reserving the URL.  In this way, a write-locked null resource (or
lock-null resource) ensures that no other user can use the specified URL
until it is unlocked.

Cheers,

Mike

       I read the RFC2518 and not sure what is lock-null resource for.
could
   you please give me a example to explain its purpose or function. Thanks

   tao