RE: Proposal for marshalling property type information

I didn't get any feedback, therefore I am retrying with a plain text version
of the proposal :-)

Network Working Group                                         J. Reschke
Internet-Draft                                                greenbytes
Expires: December 7, 2001                                   June 8, 2001

                    Datatypes for WebDAV properties
               draft-reschke-webdav-property-datatypes-00

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on December 7, 2001.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2001).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This specification extends the WebDAV Distributed Authoring Protocol
   to support datatyping on property values.  Protocol elements are
   defined to let clients and servers specify the type of a property,
   and to instruct the WebDAV method PROPFIND to return datatype
   information.

   Distribution of this document is unlimited.  Please send comments to
   the Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) working group at
   w3c-dist-auth@w3.org[1], which may be joined by sending a message
   with subject "subscribe" to w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org[2].

   Discussions of the WEBDAV working group are archived at URL:

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001                [Page 1]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/.

Table of Contents

   1.  Notational Conventions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   2.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   3.  Overview of data types . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   4.  Changes for PROPPATCH method . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
   4.1 Example for successful PROPPATCH . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
   4.2 Example for failed PROPPATCH . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   5.  Changes for PROPFIND method  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   5.1 Example for PROPFIND/prop  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   6.  Compatibility Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
   7.  Internationalization Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
   8.  IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   9.  Copyright  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
   10. Intellectual Property  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
       References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
       Author's Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
       Full Copyright Statement . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001                [Page 2]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

1. Notational Conventions

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

   The term "property element" refers to the XML element that identifies
   a particular property, for instance

   	<getcontentlength xmlns="DAV:" />

   The term "prop element" is used for the WebDAV "prop" element as
   defined in section 12.11 of [RFC2518].

   The XML representation of schema components uses a vocabulary
   identified by the namespace name "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema".
   For brevity, the text and examples in this specification use the
   prefix "xs:" to stand for this namespace; in practice, any prefix can
   be used.  "XML Schema: Structures" ([XS1]) also defines several
   attributes for direct use in any XML documents.  These attributes are
   in a different namespace, which has the namespace name
   "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance".  For brevity, the text
   and examples in this specification use the prefix "xsi:" to stand for
   this latter namespace; in practice, any prefix can be used.

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001                [Page 3]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

2. Introduction

   This specification builds on the infrastructure provided by the
   WebDAV Distributed Authoring Protocol, adding support data-typed
   properties.

   Although servers must support XML content in property values, it may
   be desirable to persist values as scalar values when possible, and to
   expose the data's type when the property value is returned to the
   client.  The client is free to ignore this information, but it may be
   able to take advantage of it when modifying a property.

   On the other hand, when setting new properties, it can be desirable
   to pass data type information along with the value.  A server can
   take advantage of this information to optimize storage and to perform
   additional parsing (for instance of dates).

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001                [Page 4]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

3. Overview of data types

   Although WebDAV property types can be anything that can be marshalled
   as content of an XML element, in many cases they actually are simple
   types like integers, booleans or dates.  "XML Schema Part 2:
   Datatypes" [XS2] defines a set of simple types which can be used as a
   basis for supplying type information to attributes.

   Data type information is represented using the attribute "type" from
   the XML Schema namespace "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance".
   In XML Schema, data types are qualified names, and the XML Schema
   recommendation defines a set of built-in datatypes (section 3 of
   [XS2]), defined in the namespace "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema".

   To avoid unnecessary verbosity, data type information should only be
   supplied if it adds usable information to the protocol.  In
   particular, type information is not required for live properties
   defined in WebDAV [RFC2518] and related standards and properties of
   type "xs:string".

   A server may implement any combination of datatypes, both from the
   XML Schema recommendation and possibly from other namespaces.

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001                [Page 5]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

4. Changes for PROPPATCH method

   If the property element has an XML attribute named "xsi:type", the
   server may use this information to select an optimized representation
   for storing the property value.  For instance, by specifying a type
   as "xs:boolean", the client declares the property value to be of type
   boolean (as defined in [XS2]).  The server may choose any suitable
   internal format for persisting this property, and in particular is
   allowed to fail the request if the format given does not fit the
   format defined for this type.

   The server should indicate successfull detection and parsing of the
   typed value by setting the xsi:type attribute on the property element
   in the response body.

4.1 Example for successful PROPPATCH

    >>Request

      PROPPATCH /bar.html HTTP/1.1
      Host: www.foo.com

      <D:propertyupdate xmlns:D="DAV:"
         xmlns:Z="http://www.w3.com/standards/z39.50">
        <D:set>
          <D:prop>
            <Z:released xsi:type="xs:boolean">false</Z:released>
           </D:prop>
        </D:set>
      </D:propertyupdate>

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001                [Page 6]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

    >>Response

      HTTP/1.1 207 Multi-Status

      <D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV:"
         xmlns:Z="http://www.w3.com/standards/z39.50">
        <D:response>
          <D:href>http://www.foo.com/bar.html</D:href>
          <D:propstat>
            <D:prop><Z:released xsi:type="xs:boolean" /></D:prop>
            <D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>
           </D:propstat>
        </D:response>
      </D:multistatus>

   In this cases, the xsi:type attribute on the element "Z:released"
   indicates that the server indeed has understood the submitted data
   type information.

4.2 Example for failed PROPPATCH

    >>Request

      PROPPATCH /bar.html HTTP/1.1
      Host: www.foo.com

      <D:propertyupdate xmlns:D="DAV:"
         xmlns:Z="http://www.w3.com/standards/z39.50">
        <D:set>
          <D:prop>
            <Z:released xsi:type="xs:boolean">t</Z:released>
           </D:prop>
        </D:set>
      </D:propertyupdate>

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001                [Page 7]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

    >>Response

      HTTP/1.1 207 Multi-Status

      <D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV:"
         xmlns:Z="http://www.w3.com/standards/z39.50">
        <D:response>
          <D:href>http://www.foo.com/bar.html</D:href>
          <D:propstat>
            <D:prop><Z:released/></D:prop>
            <D:status>HTTP/1.1 422 Unprocessable Entity</D:status>
            <D:responsedescription>Does not parse as
xsd:boolean</D:responsedescription>
          </D:propstat>
        </D:response>
      </D:multistatus>

   In this case the request failed because the supplied value "t" is not
   a valid representation for a boolean value.

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001                [Page 8]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

5. Changes for PROPFIND method

   PROPFIND is extended to return the data type information for
   properties that satisfy the following conditions:

   o  The data type is different from "xs:string".

   o  The property's data type is not defined in [RFC2518] or a related
      specification.

5.1 Example for PROPFIND/prop

   >>Request

      PROPFIND /bar.html HTTP/1.1
      Host: www.foo.com

      <D:propfind xmlns:D="DAV:"
xmlns:Z="http://www.w3.com/standards/z39.50">
        <D:prop>
          <D:getcontenttype/>
          <Z:released/>
        </D:prop>
      </D:propfind>

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001                [Page 9]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

    >>Response

      HTTP/1.1 207 Multi-Status

      <D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV:"
xmlns:Z="http://www.w3.com/standards/z39.50"
        <D:response>
          <D:href>http://www.foo.com/bar.html</D:href>
          <D:propstat>
            <D:prop>
              <D:getcontenttype>text/html</D:getcontenttype>
              <Z:released xsi:type="xs:boolean">1</Z:released>
            </D:prop>
            <D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>
          </D:propstat>
        </D:response>
      </D:multistatus>

   This example shows that the property value "true" is returned with
   the correct data type information, and that the server chose one of
   the two possible representations defined in XML Schema.  It also
   shows that data type information is not returned for
   "D:getcontenttype", as this property's data type is already defined
   in [RFC2518].

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001               [Page 10]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

6. Compatibility Considerations

   This specification does not introduce any new protocol elements, nor
   does it change the informal WebDAV DTD.  It merely specifies
   additional server semantics for the case where clients submit
   additional data type information in an attribute on the property
   element (previously undefined), and adds an additional attribute on
   property elements upon PROPFIND.

   Clients not aware of this specification should not supply the
   "xsi:type" attribute on property elements (after all, this attribute
   belongs to the XML Schema-Instance namespace which has been defined
   for exactly this purpose).  Old clients should also ignore additional
   attributes on property elements returned by PROPFIND (and similar
   methods), although the WebDAV specification only defines this
   behaviour for unknown elements (and is silent about unknown
   attributes).

   Servers not aware of this specification either drop the "xsi:type"
   attribute, or persist it along with the property value.  However,
   they will never indicate successfull parsing of the data type by
   returning back the type in the response to PROPPATCH.

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001               [Page 11]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

7. Internationalization Considerations

   This proposal builds on [RFC2518], and inherits its
   internationalizability.

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001               [Page 12]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

8. IANA Considerations

   This proposal does not introduce any new IANA considerations, since
   it does not specify any new namespaces (in the general sense), but
   merely uses existing ones.

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001               [Page 13]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

9. Copyright

   To be supplied by the RFC Editor.

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001               [Page 14]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001

10. Intellectual Property

   To be supplied by the RFC Editor.

Reschke                 Expires December 7, 2001               [Page 15]

Internet-Draft       Datatypes for WebDAV properties           June 2001