data-typed properties

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 22:36:29 +0200
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>
Hi,

writing a WebDAV server, we found that it's a useful feature

a) for the server to pass information about a property's datatype to the
client

and

b) for the client -- when creating new properties -- to pass data type
information to the server.

(something similar is currently done by MS Webfolder, IIS and MS's
sharepoint server -- but Microsoft's solution isn't properly documented and
relies on outdated technlogy (XML data).

I'm therefore corrently writing up a proposal how to do this in a
well-defined and open way (while implementing at the same time), based on
XML Schema Part 2 (datatypes) and possibly SOAP.

If somebody else is working on a similar extension, it would be nice to
exhange ideas.

Julian