Re: AW: Issue: ALLPROP_AND_COMPUTED

"Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> [...]
The
> > problem with allprop is that it will return all the live properties
> > irrespective of whether the client is aware of the properties'
semantics.
> > Sometimes this is what the client wants, say if it is naively
displaying a
> > property sheet; but most likely it is not since there is no way for the
> > client to interpret the values or know if/how they can be changed.
>
> If agree with "to know if they can be changed". But, if they CAN be
changed,
> the way to do that is pretty obvious, isn't it????

Causing the update of a live property is usually not obvious.  For example,
changing the DAV:getlastmodified value is achieved by PUT-ing new content,
changing the DAV:successor-set of a version is achieved by creating a
version whose DAV:predecessor-set identifies that version, and so on.

My point is that if, say, a versioning unaware client uses PROPFIND with
DAV:allprop and retrieves the name and value of the DAV:successor-set
property, the best the client can likely do is to render the XML value some
way that is not going to be very meaningful; and the client certainly isn't
going to know how to change that value.

Tim