RE: File creation date, version creation date, and getlastmodified

From: Dan Brotsky <dbrotsky@Adobe.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:16:38 -0700
To: "Sridhar Erukulla" <serukulla@bytequest.com>
Cc: <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
At 1:03 PM -0400 5/3/01, Sridhar Erukulla wrote:
>In our document management system we have two concepts, 'Object'
>and 'Document'. An 'Object' comprises of a 'Document' and all its
>properties. The function GetLastModified for a document retrieves
>when the actual document was modified where as for an object when
>the object was modified which includes the properties and
>document.
>
>We found that this distinction was critical in distinguishing the
>physical actions like library maintenance, caching etc. vs. the
>business operations like using workflow.

Adobe's InScope server does a similar thing distinguishing "Assets"
from "Versions" (which are the content and dead property snapshots of
the asset); assets as a resource have content and properties (the
latest version) but also properties that the version doesn't have.
Many of these "non-content" properties are about the workflow.

Our approach (prior to delta-V) has been to establish a conventional
relationship between the asset URLs and the version URLs; in fact
assets are (non-DAV-compliant) collections of their versions.

With delta-V stabilizing we are hoping, going forward, to use delta-V
mechanisms to connect assets and their versions.

     dan
--
Daniel Brotsky, Adobe Systems
tel 408-536-4150, pager 877-704-4062