RE: File creation date, version creation date, and getlastmodifie d

Hi,

I am not sure that properties are necessarily "becoming a true part of the
file", our system is a complete workflow
based SCM system with build capabilities etc.  WebDAV clients will be using
the same repository/server as the rest of
our application.  Some of our properties like "workflow state" for example,
are not directly related to the file
content.

We track the last modification time (in UTC) of the file content at check-in
time.
Separately we track the last time the file had any property changed etc,
this includes promoting through the workflow,
changing properties, locking/unlocking, adding/removing from a collection
etc.

One example of why we keep the "last modified" date separate is that our
build system uses this to compare with
timestamps of files on disk to decide if the file is out of date.  If the
WebDAV client set the last modification
time each time a property was changed then the build system would think the
file on disk was "out of date" compared
to the file held in version control.

I am in favor of Lisa's suggestion of having three timestamps.

Regards,
--
Peter Raymond - MERANT
Technical Architect (ADM)