deltaV (draft 14) questions

From: Julian F. Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:38:11 +0200
To: "WebDAV WG" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Hi,

a few questions/comments:

1) 2.2.4	DAV:supported-live-property-set (protected)

<!ATTLIST supported-live-property namespace NMTOKEN "DAV:">
namespace value: an XML namespace

This seems to indicate that only properties in the DAV: namespace can be
live properties, which I think is wrong.

2) General comment regarding new required properties for all resources

Unless I'm making a mistake, this makes propfind/allprop extremly chatty...

Regarding "supported-method-set" -- what is it for? If I really would need
to know this, couldn't I just do OPTIONS on the resource?

Regarding "supported-live-property-set": this *is* very useful, but it seems
it could be implemented simpler and more effective by extending
propfind/propname to include this information, for instance:

>>Request

   PROPFIND  /container/ HTTP/1.1
   Host: www.foo.bar

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
   <propfind xmlns="DAV:">
     <propname includeTypeInfo="yes"/>
   </propfind>

>>Response

   HTTP/1.1 207 Multi-Status

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
   <multistatus xmlns="DAV:">
     <response>
          <href>http://www.foo.bar/container/</href>
          <propstat>
               <prop xmlns:R="http://www.foo.bar/boxschema/"
xmlns:dav="DAV">
                    <R:bigbox dav:type="dead" />
                    <R:author dav:type="dead" />
                    <creationdate dav:type="protected" />
                    <displayname dav:type="live" />
                    <resourcetype dav:type="protected" />
                    <supportedlock dav:type="protected" />
               </prop>
               <status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</status>
          </propstat>
     </response>
   </multistatus>

Obviously this could also be made propfind/propinfo (new propfind type), and
it could also use child elements rather than attributes
(<creationdate><protected /></creationdate>...).

3. 2.1.1	Creating a Version-Controlled Resource and
   2.3.1	DAV:checked-in (protected)

OK, under core versioning, every version is a resource on it's own. Does
this mean that a server has to assign a unique URL and make the version
resource visible under this URL, for instance for PROPINFO? Or is this
optional?

Regards,

Julian