Re: WebDAV properties

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:00:20 -0800
To: Adam Klatzkin <Adam.Klatzkin@bentley.com>
Cc: "'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> Example from section 8.2.2
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
> <D:propertyupdate xmlns:D="DAV:"
> xmlns:Z="http://www.w3.com/standards/z39.50/">
>  <D:set>
>    <D:prop>
>       <Z:authors>
>           <Z:Author>Jim Whitehead</Z:Author>
>           <Z:Author>Roy Fielding</Z:Author>
>       </Z:authors>
>    </D:prop>
>   </D:set>
> </D:propertyupdate>
>

> Unless I am interpreting this incorrectly, the example seems to violate the
> definition of the property namespace as described in section 4.5.
> Can anybody provide any insight into this?
> One thought is that maybe
>           <Z:Author>Jim Whitehead</Z:Author>
>           <Z:Author>Roy Fielding</Z:Author>
> is itself the value that should be stored for the Z:authors property?

That XML fragment is indeed the property value for Z:authors.

> If that is the case then how do I prevent an XML parser from parsing the
> element tags?

Probably with extreme difficulty. Probably not even possible with most XML
parsers.

> Do I have to attempt to rebuild this string from the parsed
> data and store it?

If you want to interpret the value as a string... yes -- you would need to
rebuild it.

As a concrete example of this behavior: mod_dav parses the above
DAV:propertyupdate request into an XML structure. When it goes to store the
Z:authors property's value, it reconstructs the string and stores that. So,
there is precedent for reconstruction.

Cheers,
-g

--