Re: Qualities of URLs and resources

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 18:23:18 -0800
To: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
cc: Larry Masinter <LM@att.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
In message <NDBBIKLAGLCOPGKGADOJGENICNAA.ejw@ics.uci.edu>, Jim Whitehead writes:
>Larry Masinter writes:
>> Neither of these notations captures content negotiation, and it isn't
>> OK to remove 't'. The whole *point* is to understand what are
>> the things that are stable over time and which things can change, and how.
>
>Well, it was my intent that the set of values (V1, V2, ... Vn) represent
>variants of the resource at a particular instant in time, and hence I
>thought I was modeling content negotiated resources.  But, as Geoff Clemm
>points out, both Roy and I did omit the Accept headers as an input to the
>RMap function.

I omitted them because they do not modify the resource mapping.  If we
talk instead about the content selection process, determining which V(i)
to use as the representation of that resource at time t, then yes you
would have to include all aspects of the request, including its context
(lower-layer protocol things like IP address, SSL identity, etc.).

....Roy