Re: Lock

Accidentally caught by the spam filter.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Schaeffer [mailto:barry@xsystemsinc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 1:07 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] Re: Lock

This is perhaps somewhat afield from the current thread of discussion and
design but having monitored the colloquy over the past several weeks, I am
impelled to hazard a comment.

I have, over the past number of years, had the opportunity to see the
sometimes wide difference between what very intelligent standards developers
can reason out, and what often overworked, underfunded production
organizations can understand and use.  At times, the difference has been so
great that the standard never achieved working status because no-one in the
field felt responsible to spend the time or money to build a production
environment upon it.  DSSSL is a good example; extremely elegant but after
nearly 15 years, never moving into the mainstream.  Even XML has spawned
SML, a reaction against perceived over-complexity.  Moreover, the software
community nearly always indulges in a certain level of summarization in what
they elect to support (indeed, often the firms that go the  farthest toward
full compliance have the most troulble selling their wares with the
inevitiable negative result.)

While I am in no way qualified to question the efficacy of anything passing
in this thread, I am getting the feeling that the nuance of design embodied
in the current efforts may have the effect of making the target users feel
inadequate to understand or leverage the standard and the software vendors
unwilling to fully step up to the bar of support.

Let me, then, merely suggest that in each of these threads, a certain
capping of the capability (and complexity) might be appropriate.  If the
user world needs more than is initially made available, they will ask and
the standards community will, I'm sure, respond effectively.  But going too
far initially is usually a good way to become a footnote.

Best regards,

Barry Schaeffer
X.Systems, Inc.