RE: Relative URIs in DAV:reftarget

The general tenor of your comments here seems right to me.

The whole idea of redirect references is supposed to be that the server
never actually has to follow them to their targets.  It's not required to
guarantee their integrity; it never has to check whether DAV:reftarget
actually maps to a resource.  They're supposed to be very simple for servers
to support using just the 302 capabilities that they already have.  My
assumption would be that the server just uses the value of DAV:reftarget
that is passed in with a MKRESOURCE request exactly as it appears there, and
treats DAV:reftarget as a dead property.

It's up to the client whether it passes in an absolute or a relative URI.
For some applications, like the one you describe where whole hierarchies
tend to be moved, a relative URI is preferable.  For others, where
individual resources tend to get moved, an absolute URI may be preferable.

Yes, the server does have to resolve any relative URIs in DAV:reftarget to
absolute URIs when it returns the Location header.

It sounds as if all this needs clarification in Section 9.