Re: WebDAV Bindings - Issue Yaron.AtomicDelete

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:03:32 -0500
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

   From: "Eric Sedlar" <esedlar@us.oracle.com>

   The loop detection problem is only necessary if you allow links to affect
   the persistence of the linked-to item.

You still need loop detection, because there always will be some type
of link that determines persistence, even if there are others that do not.

   The other property of hard links
   (not dangling, and moving with the destination) is probably more important
   to users than persistence.

Not to this user (:-). I put it into my collection because I wanted to
be able to reliably retrieve it from there in the future.  If I can't
be guaranteed of that behavior, I must have that BIND request fail,
and I'll probably just make a copy of the resource there instead.

Cheers,
Geoff