Re: WebDAV Bindings - Issue Yaron.AtomicDelete

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Yaron Goland wrote:
> So the bottom line is that we can't implement an atomic delete and allow for
> multiple simultaneous file system access through multiple protocols. Since
> our users absolutely demand multiple simultaneous file system access through
> multiple protocols we can not implement atomic delete.

Although I do not agree with atomic delete, I do need to point out
something here (to be fair). You have introduced an extra requirement --
simultaneous access through different protocols. From a WebDAV standpoint,
NTFS and FAT can implement an atomic delete. If you partially delete a
tree, there is nothing requiring you to move it back: from the client's
standpoint, you *have* deleted the resources.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/