RE: Jini Distributed Leasing Specification (was Re: timeout types)

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:47:53 -0800
To: Kaelin Colclasure <kaelin@everest.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

> Are you familiar with the "Lease" technique which I first encountered in
> Sun's specifications for Jini?
>
> <http://www.sun.com/jini/specs/lease101.html>
>
> Leases represent a very intuitive (IMO) approach to addressing issues of
> resource reservation / locking in distributed architectures. While this
> particular specification is of course for a Java implementation of the
> concept, there's no reason the idea couldn't be incorporated into a
> protocol like WebDAV.

Well, I was not familiar with Jini leases, so I took a quick look through
the spec. you referenced.  As near as I can tell, there are many
similarities between the semantics for Jini leases and WebDAV locks.  Jini
leases allow an object to request a lease that lasts forever, or for a
specific time period, similar to WebDAV locks which can be requested for a
specific time period in seconds, or with the value "Infinite".  Jini leases
can be refreshed, as can WebDAV locks, by re-requesting the lock. Jini
leases can be canceled before the time period ends, as can WebDAV locks,
using the UNLOCK method.

Was there some specific Jini lease semantic that you particularly think
WebDAV would benefit from?

- Jim