Re: Should I use displayname?

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 ccjason@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I don't think you can count on it containing anything and even that it
> exists.  If it does exist, it does seem like the thing you'd want to
> display.
>
> Note: I don't think it's even technically required to correspond to
> the URI at all.
>
> Note: in the presence of multiple bindings, if the server initializes it
> to the URI and treats it as a dead property, that URI might be different
> from the URI from which it was accessed.  This unexpected behavior is even
> possible (but less likely) if the value is only initialized to the last
> segment of the URI.
>
> That's only the technical answer.  If you were asking for a consensus
> answer, you can add DAV4J to the list.  It currently treats it as a dead
> property that gets initialized to the full URI.  It also allows the client
> to change the displayname to anything they wish.

As another point of reference:

mod_dav treats it as a dead property and does *not* initialize the value
to anything. In other words, it (typically) does not exist on a resource.
If it does, then it only contains whatever somebody happened to shove into
it -- that could be a JPEG image for all mod_dav cares.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/