RE: WebDAV Bindings - Issue Yaron.BindSyntax

I believe that eventually we will be forced to make it possible to specify a
bind both ways. That is, one can send the request either to the source or
the destination.

The reason has to do with how many tightly bound (and weakly bound) systems
are likely to be implemented.

I will use a real world example to help illustrate.

Imagine I have server S1 and server S2. They both share the same tightly
replicated NTFS volume. Both servers map onto a particular file in the NTFS
volume. Following the specification provided by both the Exchange and NT
WebDAV implementations the WebDAV properties associated with that file are
recorded as an "alternate" stream on that file. Alternate streams are a
feature in Windows 2000 implementation of NTFS that allows one to have
multiple independent named streams off a file. What this means is that
someone can come in through SMB, move a file and all its WebDAV properties
will remain because the file system will move all the streams associated
with the file. (Yes, I recognize the problems this can cause)

Anyway, S1 is just a standard issue W2K WebDAV server and so serves off
files from the NTFS volume. S2, on the other hand, is an enhanced WebDAV
server that has support for BIND. S1 and S2 can both refer to the same file
on the NTFS volume and still meet all the BIND integrity requirements.
However only S2 can explicitly create new bindings since S1 doesn't support
the BIND method.

Therefore if one wants to creating a binding to a file currently pointed to
by S1 then the request must be sent to S2 (S2, btw, can figure out what file
S1 is pointing at by checking the metabase, but that is a whole other
story). However the reverse is also true, if one wants to create a binding
to a file pointed to by S2 then the request MUST also go to S2 because S1
doesn't understand BIND.

Therefore what is needed is the ability to specify a BIND request which can
choose to either have the source or the destination in the request-URI.

I expect that eventually the exact same thing will happen to COPY and MOVE.
The only reason it didn't happen in RFC 2518 is that we all knew that for a
really long time COPY and MOVE would only work within a single server so we
weren't particularly worried about the issue. We probably should have been
but one has to pick one's battles. Don't be too surprised to see the same
source/destination flexibility introduced into the next version of RFC 2518.

Either way, I don't care if we solve this problem in the current BIND spec
so long as we leave the door open to solving the problem later. That is why
I asked for the very limited language. If the authors really want to tackle
the whole problem that is fine with me but I didn't want to force them to do
so.

			Yaron