From: w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Yaron Goland
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2000 5:51 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: WebDAV Bindings - Issue Yaron.WeScrewedUp

The bind draft makes a heroic attempt to map its philosophy of the naming
relationships of collections and resources to the statements made in the
WebDAV spec. The end result are sections like the "Internal Member URI"
section. Unfortunately the attempts to try and reverse engineer the WebDAV
language into something sensible only makes the draft significantly more
confusing to the reader. I think the optimal solution would be to remove the
language attempting to explain how one could make some sense out of WebDAV
and instead say "WebDAV was wrong, we are right, just read this." For the
truly dedicated we can add the "internal member URI" section to the appendix
where it, along with WebDAV's mistakes, will hopefully be soon forgotten.
        BTW, we should obviously fix the WebDAV draft but that will take a
while and I can't think of a good reason to hold the bind draft up until
that happens. Therefore the bind draft should introduce the new language and
we will roll that language into WebDAV at the appropriate time.
        As such I propose that ALL mentions of "Internal Member URIs" be
stricken from the main body of the spec and only be mentioned, if at all, in
an appendix.