RE: Anomaly in the DAV:prop element usage

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:49:47 -0800
To: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Geoff Clemm writes:

> But
> in those cases where you do have the DTD's available (such as for the
> DAV:xxx properties), it does provide some cognitive dissonance to
> see an element like <DAV:creationdate/> in a PROPFIND request,
> when the DTD for creationdate is:
>    <!ELEMENT creationdate (#PCDATA) >

Actually, in this specific case the XML is valid.  The construction
no contents).  Since an empty element is consistent with the *DTD* for
creationdate, <creationdate/> is valid.  But, your point still holds for
properties like lockdiscovery, which have a list of subelements as part of
their DTD specification, so my objection is to your example, not to your
general point.  That said, I still think using a list of empty elements is
fine within prop.

- Jim