From: Eric Sedlar [mailto:esedlar@us.oracle.com]
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2000 1:09 PM
To: Yaron Goland
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: Re: Your proposal

One problem with your qualms about properties is that we are trying to map
WebDAV data to object representation systems that do not have functional
semantics, like XML.  We should define an interface that doesn't rely on the
distinction between functional interfaces and properties for maximum
implementability on various servers.  (This distinction is something may
programmers have trouble with--does everyone always bother to create
accessor methods for everything?  ...)  The benefit of using live properties
as a representation is that object properties are more "portable" to the
other types of systems that may want to access the same data, presumably
through another means than the HTTP protocol (which isn't particularly
efficient).  (Which brings me to another unrelated issue--should there be a
functional interface to WebDAV methods for programs living in the same
server as the data repository, given the performance costs of HTTP within a
single process--more on that later).

Yes you need a set of clear rules for how live properties are used, and
unless their use is rigorously controlled, you will have compatability
problems of the type you cite, but this is a problem with any loosely
written standard.
I think of properties in the JavaBeans sense--in an OO language binding,
they would actually be functional interfaces to set and retrieve them, but
could be overridden to provide customized behaviour.  Any JavaBeans user has
no idea whether or not this piece of data is live or not, and this model
works well.

--Eric