RE: case-sensitivity

From: Brian Morin <bmorin@microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 15:38:14 -0700
To: "'Greg Stein'" <gstein@lyra.org>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
This falls under general application robustness, particularly for server
implementers.  Whether it's written in the spec or not, inevitably someone
will build an application that works against server X but not yours
(client/server in-breeding) unless you are forgiving about minor details.

Here is my short list of deviations I have seen (including my collage work
on Fnord Web Server):
o Do not assume case on any value that is not explitly case sensitive for
functional reasons
o Do not assume a particular white space padding
o Do not assume anything about the formatting of paths (trailing slashes, /
or \, etc.)
o Do not assume real CR-LF pairs (accept CR or LF without the other)

Your millage may vary.

Brian Morin
Software Development Engineer
MSN Communities