Re: Multistatus required in responses?

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 02:37:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: Kaushik Sridharan <kaushik@ruksun.com>
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
On Sat, 6 May 2000, Kaushik Sridharan wrote:
> [Greg Stein wrote:]
> > I would disagree. I think that it is quite valid to return something like
> > 403 (Forbidden) or 401 (Authorization required) as a response. Heck, you
> > could also return something like 412 or 301, too.
> >
> > In each of these cases, the 3xx or 4xx applies to the Request-URI. If a
> > status code ever applies to a URI *other* than the Request-URI (say,
> > caused by a Depth: header), then a 207 (Multistatus) MUST be returned.
>
> In my initial query I had assumed that 4xx or 3xx are valid. I meant to ask
> about successful responses -- whether they must be 207, or whether a 200
> could be expected as well.
>
> To paraphrase: Are 200 responses for PROPFIND allowed?

Nope. If a PROPFIND succeeds, then it is going to be returning properties.
Therefore, it must return a 207 which contains the <multistatus> element.

Sure, it is theoretically possible to state that the 200 has the XML body,
but that's not what was defined. PROPFIND returns 207 on success.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/