Re: Why are WebDAV's XML namespace rules different than the W3C's?

It is my understanding that the meaning of an XML namespace with respect to
its tags is completely up to the application. Therefore WebDAV is not at
odds with W3C namespace rules. WebDAV servers that concatenate namespace
with tag to form an identifier will interoperate just fine. The alternative
is to keep them separate but always match on both. DAV4J keeps the
namespace, prefix, and property identifier separate in the API, but
normalizes them in the server for matching. That is, a:foo and b: foo are
the same thing if a and b are the same namespace. This is not the case with
XML as these are considered different tags, but applications are free to
treat them as having the same semantics. From WebDAV's point of view, these
different tags represent the same property name. I think it would be a bad
thing if this were not true.

Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>@w3.org on 12/28/99 09:28:36 PM

Sent by:  w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org