RE: Office 2000 and properties

From: <atul.mathur@autodesk.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:05:22 -0800
To: ejw@ics.uci.edu, Lars-Gunnar.F.Fallman@telia.se, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
I suppose Office 2000 uses OLE Persistent Property Sets for storing the
properties within the document.

Jim Whitehead wrote:
>> An intelligent server that has knowledge of the Office data formats
>> might be able to extract the properties and expose them via DAV,

Such a server would be interesting for documents created using many other
Windows based applications as well. OLE defines a standard seialized data
format for property sets called "Structured Storage Serialized Property Set
Format".  A Windows NT based server could use StgOpenStorageEx and get the
IPropertySetStorage/IPropertyStorage interfaces to access the properties.
Any other server could directly access the properties using the published
format.

Atul