Re: WebDAV and Dynamic Content

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 21:40:17 -0800 (PST)
To: Serge Knystautas <sergek@lokitech.com>
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Serge Knystautas wrote:
> "Roy T. Fielding" wrote:
> > That is already present in the protocol, as the source property.
> > The reason that the source isn't advertized as a external link on every
> > GET response is because some people don't like to publish how their
> > resources are generated, and it doesn't make an efficient tradeoff given
> > that a typical resource is going to be GET'd millions of more times
> > than it will be PUT.
>
> Thanks for the tip (and for your patience).  I will look into the source
> property.  Do most client/servers implement this, or is this relatively
> unsupported right now (is this class 1 or class 2 feature, if that
> question makes sense)?

mod_dav supports it as a "dead" property and depends on the server admin
to set up the appropriate structures on the server.

Some future version of mod_dav (sooner or later... I dunno) will support a
directive to automatically set up DAV:source properites, aliases, and
content-type settings.

I posted a note a couple days ago about how mod_dav might handle the
property.

Cheers,
-g

--